Re: ntp package. Client by default?

Alberto Fuentes wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> >Jon Dowland writes:
> >>Wow, good point. Indeed it *does* appear to be listening as a server
> >>for other clients, by default, and I'd agree this is perhaps not the
> >>best default.
> >
> >As long as it listens only on the LAN I don't agree.
>
> well, it does not. It listens on all interfaces. I just tested and
> it worked fine as an ntp server for another box with default conf :/

The entire purpose of ntp is to interact on the network.  Not doing
this would be similar to installing sshd and then wanting it not to
listen to the network.  That would severely reduce its usefulness.  If
you install ntp then there is an expectation that it will behave like
ntp and interact with the network.  Plus ntp is very widely used in
all different configurations meaning that this isn't a little known
code path.  It is exercised a lot.  The risk of an unknown problem is
less than for a lessor used program.  I would hate to have paranoid
fervor remove this useful feature.  But of course it is always good to
have the documentation as accurate as possible.

Bob