Re: sound issues

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 05:53, Darren Crotchett <debian@crotchett.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it just needs to be setup correctly"?
> I'm going to be working on this issue today.  Before I install the
> applications that Raffaele recommended, I want to give Pulseaudio one more
> chance because I would rather figure out the problem than to circumvent it.
> OTOH, I don't want to fight a losing battle either.

So, I originally setup mine based on the PA wiki's "Perfect Setup".
It is rather
extensive and a lot of the stuff in there is from a time when there
was less support
for PA.

Here are the essentials:
Edit /etc/asound.conf (for all users) or ~/.asoundrc (per-user)
I have only these two entries in mine:

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

Make sure you are in the groups "audio", "pulse-access" and "pulse-rt"

Make sure that Pulse is being run automatically at startup (it should be,
I just remember when it was not, and I had to set it up myself).

---

The setting of the alsa default to pulse should make most things work,
but personally I set a number of things to PA explicitly. At least some of these
used to be required (they did not automatically use pulse and avoided the
alsa default or similar). Nowadays that may not be the case, I don't know.
Also they may have a PA driver that is different from the alsa driver, and
may work better than redirected alsa.

in ~/.mplayer/config: ao = pulse

in ~/.xine/config: audio.driver:pulseaudio

in ~/.vlcrc or ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc: aout=pulse

in /etc/libao.conf: default_driver=pulse

for gstreamer:
gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc pulsesrc
gconftool-2 -t string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 -t string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink pulsesink

KDE's Phonon uses vlc, mplayer or gstreamer, so the above should cover
that as well

SDL (used for some games) can be set to explicitly use PA with:
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse
(needs to be done in a startup script like ~/.bashrc to be permanent)

As far as I remember that is about it. As I said, setting those explicitly
may not be needed anymore, I just don't know.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers