Re: Desktop icons missing

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 09:28:34 +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> 1. Gnome classic desktop displays no desktop icons.
>
> Nautilus does not handle the desktop in gnome3 by default. But this can
> be changes with a flag. The easiest way to set the flag back to true is
> via gnome-tewak-tool: First line in section "Desktop". gnome-tweak-tool
> comes in a package of its own.

Is the gnome-classic flavour also hiding the icons on the desktop by
default?

>>> 2. How can I examine the menu items to find where the underlying
>>> programs they call are and are named? I have not yet come to an
>>> understanding of how this part worsks.
>
> The gnome3 way:
> 1) Move the mouse to the upper left corner of the screen.
>    (Alternatively, press the windows-key)
> --> The screen warps to some kind of window chooser.
>
> 2) click "applications" in the upper left. --> The screen changes to an
> iphone-like carpet of klarge icons.
>   Use the menu on the right to filter for specific groups of
>   applications.

I think the OP wanted to know what's the application being run when he
clicks on the icons or over the menu items.

>> Alacarte was the usual application to deal with GNOME menu items but I
>> think is broken somehow.
>
> IMHO, the OP is missing the menu in the first place. This seems to be
> gone in gnome3. Same as with the icons on the desktop it is still there,
> just not in the default theme.

I can't recall if gnome-classic hides the icons over the desktop, I would
have expected they are visible to mimic the GNOME 2.x style. OTOH, the
top menu is still there and applets can be placed in the bar as usual,
but an extra "Alt" click is needed to enable the action.

> Steps to recover the gnome2 way:

(...)

The gnome-classical desktop comes in a very usual shape or at least
that's what I remember for the last wheezy installation I made a week ago.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón