Changing processor

Dear Debian users,

First of all, I'd like to briefly introduce myself, as it is my first message. My name is Ruben (aka Beco), I'm a computer scientist, and I've being   using linux since 1995 (Slackware-KDE, RedHat-KDE - because of RPM, Suse-KDE - because it recognize more hardware and I didnt like the redhat turned into fedora, Ubuntu-Gnome - because of KDE4, and finally Debian-KDE4 because of unity).

I'm glad to be here, and I hope I'll be forever this time (because debian is more stable in terms of policies and software).

I would like do address a question to you guys. I have a machine here, processor E5700 dual core, mother-board ASUS P5G41T-M that I had to buy and due to time pressure, I had no time to chose a better better processor. It is running beatifully a plain Debian Squeeze with KDE installed from scratch.

Now I have to buy another machine (just motherboard, processor, memory). My idea is to buy another similar machine, DDR3, and socket 775. But I want to seize the opportunity to upgrade the first machine. So I would buy a Core2 Quad, install it in the first machine, and use the DualCore to the new one (that will not need such computer power anyway).

Simple stated, my question is: will my first machine that is runing Debian installed from scratch work smoothly after I simple change its processor from a DualCore to a Core2 Quad?

(or will I need to reinstall things? Both processors are intel 64 bits, btw).

Thanks for your help,
Beco.

PS. Disclaimer:
* Sorry if this is the wrong list to ask such question
* Forgive-me any misspelled word.