Re: CUPS and Brother HL-5340D dual whammy (SOLVED!)

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:54:55 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 05:11:28PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:

(...)

>> > I've succeeded using the Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer -
>> > CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.7 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
>>
>> Good to know, but if your only problem was in selecting the PPD file
>> from CUPS wizard, just copy the PPD manually as instructed and go on
>> :-)
>
> That is easier now that I see that CUPS copies the PPD file to
> /etc/cups/interfaces and renames it to match the printer name.

Mmm, "locate *.ppd" will also show what are the available paths for the
files. For instance, mines are placed under "/etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd" with
arbitrary names.

>> Better having two printer instances (one for each of drivers) than just
>> one. Besides, the PostScript (or BR-Script) driver will provide the
>> best quality printouts for your device.
>
> The printer supports BR-Script 3.

Which is a modified implementation of PostScript developed by Brother.

> CUPS offers three Postscript drivers in the Generic menu.
>
> Generic PostScript Level 1 Printer Foomatic/Postscript 1 (recommended en)
> Generic PostScript Printer (en)
> Generic PostScript Printer Foomatic/Postscript (recommended en)
>
> I suppose I can try them out....

I'm not sure if any of those are going to work. BR-Script is not
PostScript, you better use the description file provided by the printer
manufacturer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón