Re: Readonly filesystem on boot

Johann Spies wrote:
> My home network server has started to give this problem some weeks ago:
> When it boot, the root filesystem is mounted readonly.

And it doesn't get remounted read-write?  I suspect one of three
problems.

To begin with the root filesystem is always booted read-only.  This is
done so that it can be fsck'd at boot time.  Then after that point in
the boot process the root filesystem is mounted read-write.  I don't
remember if it done with a remount or if it is just mounted on top of
the read-write device.

If your system is not transitioning through from read-only to
read-write then something in that process has been broken.  And there
are many ways it may be broken so you will need to determine what has
actually happened and fix it.

You mentioned having a root filesystem entry in /etc/fstab so that
isn't likely the problem.

I would check that you haven't accidentally removed the startup
symlink for the /etc/rcS.d/S*mountall.sh which IIRC will be the
startup process that mounts everything including the root filesystem.

Check /var/log/syslog for any error messages that might be a clue.

Check the output of 'dmesg | less' for any information that might be a
clue.

If that didn't yield anything then I would boot into single user mode
and manually run each startup script up through mountall.sh and then
debug running that script to see what the problem is.  I usually debug
scripts by running them with 'sh -x scriptname' and looking at the
trace output.

> Then I restart the network and go back to level 5.

You mean 2 sir.  The normal Debian runlevel is 2.  Runlevel 5 is used
by some other distros.  But you are running Debian, right?  :-)
Of course you could have edited /etc/inittab and changed the default.

> All that did not make any difference.  There is a bios bug that causes
> Linux not to see all 4G ram and the kernel is complaining about that
> during the startup.

This is a completely different and separate issue.  Which kernel are
you running?  'cat /proc/version'  Because due to limitations of the
original pc architecture a standard 32-bit kernel won't be able to use
all 4G.  If you are running a 32-bit kernel you will probably need the
bigmem flavor.  If you want a flat address space you will need to run
the amd64 kernel.  And again, the dmesg output will show the memory map.

Bob