Re: How do I debug kernel panic that occurs while running X?

On 2 March 2012 12:50, Charles Krinke <charles.krinke@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, one should be able to tail /var/log messages and see what the kernel did
> at the time of the freeze.

I've had problems with write caching causing the last few messages to
be lost after a panic*, so if you don't see anything suspicious, maybe
turn off write caching with 'hdparm -W 0 /dev/whatever' for long
enough to reproduce the crash. Just in case.

* This was really only a problem because I was using a flash-based
drive (not USB, but for an embedded system) with *really* aggressive
caching. I don't know how bad the problem might be on a more ordinary
drive.

— Jason