Re: Why did UDEV renumber my ethernet interface again?

On Monday 27 February 2012, David Goodenough
<david.goodenough@btconnect.com> was heard to say:
> On Monday 27 Feb 2012, Curt Howland wrote:
> > > What doesn't make sense is _why_. There is only one ethernet
> > interface in this machine. Why is UDEV renumbering them _at_all_?
> >
> > Curt-
>
> I had the same thing, and I think it is because a bug in the script
> that processes network udev events was fixed.  I forget the bug
> number, but there was a trailing \ missing from a line.

Ok. Yes, I know my mailer breaks thread references, but that's because
I get the digest. It's also why I am careful to fix the subject
lines.

Here's the answer to the problem:

UDEV rules are never removed, only added. The fact that I have plugged
USB wireless interfaces into this system has incremented the file
70-persistent-net.rules up to eth2 behind my back.

I had a motherboard failure a month ago, and when I put in the new
motherboard I was not surprised that the new ethernet port (since I
kept the same system drive, no reinstall) was given a new ethernet
number, eth3.

The bug which Mr. Goodenough mentions above, for a short time,
reverted my interface to eth0. Not knowing this was a bug, I figured
the system had simply defaulted back to 0, that what I have learned
are called persistent rules had removed themselves. Woopie, fine by
me.

But, when the bug was fixed and UDEV started working again, the same
entry was still in 70-persistent-net.rules to make it eth3.

Ok. I can live with it. I guess it's better than the good old days
when one's ethernet ports, if there were more than one in the
machine, would sometimes swap places. Ah, those were exciting times,
with real incentive never to reboot!

Running Debian Sid means never saying one is bored.

Thank you to all who replied, it's been a "learning experience".

Curt-

- --
The secret of happiness is freedom,
and the secret of freedom is courage.