Re: Accented Characters - How to type from standard keyboard?

On 01/28/2012 02:40 PM, Michael Lange wrote:
Hi,

Thus spoketh "Thomas H. George"<lists@tomgeorge.info>
unto us on Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:19:09 -0500:

/snip/
3rd person singular preterite is "spake"
You can set up a compose key; here I have added

     Option         "XkbOptions" "compose:Super_R"

to the Keyboard section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and now I can use the right
one of the "Windows" keys as compose key, most of the default key
combinations are quite intuitive, for example if I press the ComposeKey
followed by an "a" and an apostrophe I get á , or an "o" followed by a
slash gives ø and so on.
.snip/

You can even setup custom key combinations in case you can locate the
correct file for that; here I have a file ~/.XCompose, but changes to
this file are ignored by gtk apps , and xterm and friends seem to be
unable to handle certain characters.

Regards

Michael

I don't know about gtk apps and xterm, but if you set up a compose
key as shown above (or from a menu in KDE) the accented characters
work in just about everything--email, console, Open/Libre Office, etc.

If you don't have a Windows key, you can set it up for the right CTRL key.

--doug