Re: Blank screen at boot with kernel 3.1

(again, I mistakenly answered Alberto directly instead of the list, so
I repost our exchanges here. Sorry...)

Le 25 janvier 2012 10:27, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> a écrit :

> If you are not running or have X installed, you can uninstall nouveau
> and nvidia-glx packages.

Yes, I agree. I installed nvidia-glx only because everything else I
 could think of was failing... But as I said, even before installing
 it, it didn't work. Moreover, ultimately I want a X server, so at one
 point in the future I'll want to install it anyway. But un-installing
 it doesn't change anything to my boot problem, unfortunately.

 As for nouveau, I've also thought about uninstalling it, the problem
 is that it seems to come from the kernel itself. At one point (sorry,
 I can't remember exactly when in all my tries...) I had a
 libdrm-nouveau1a package installed, but uninstalling it didn't change
 anything. No other package contains nouveau in its name, and the only
 files on the disk that do are the kernel modules (one per kernel, 2.6
 and 3.1). So I don't see what else I could try uninstalling.

 The nouveau.ko kernel module seems to be provided by the kernel
 package itself (at least, this is what dpkg -S tells me), so I don't
 see how I can uninstall nouveau without uninstalling the kernel.

 (one way could be to compile my own kernel only to disable nouveau in
 it, but I would rather avoid having to do this as this would increase
 the maintenance burden -- not hugely, but I don't feel this should be
 needed...)

> Since you can access the machine from a network connection, watch for
> errors in the logs with the «dmesg» command.

Tried that also, and as I said, I don't see any suspicious messages
 there. Now, I don't claim that there are no error messages at all, but
 I couldn't find any message that truly seemed to indicate a problem,
 and some googling with the few messages that slightly bothered me
 didn't turn up anything useful. I might have missed the important one
 (actually, I should have made a copy of dmesg to post it as well,
 sorry...).

And in another mail, Alberto suggested:
> If the module is brought by the kernel, you can avoid loading it by
 > blacklisting it in the system configuration:
 >
 > http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModuleBlacklisting

Hmm, I already added the /etc/modprobe.d file, but I didn't run depmod
nor update-initramfs. I'll try that. Will depmod affect the
non-running 3.1 kernel even if I launch it from running the 2.6
kernel?

Also, what changes are supposed to be made by depmod (i.e. is there a
way I can check that it has effectively done what it should)? Same
question for update-initramfs, how can I check that the generated
initrd is OK (and will it update the initrd for the 3.1 kernel and not
only the 2.6 one)?

Thanks!
--
Rémi Moyen