Re: Free software

On 25/01/12 21:24, Stayvoid wrote:
>> The main branch is only free software...

There are three repositories - you need "main" to build an OS
Main is all libre
Additionally you may select "contrib" and "non-free".

> Are you sure about that?

Debian has a legal test:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines#debian-legal_tests_for_DFSG_compliance

Please read the Debian Social Contract on the main site:-
debian.org

Where a lot people have spent a lot of time preparing answers to your
questions :-)

You can read more about Debian's Free Software policies:-
http://www.spi-inc.org/

> How to check that?

Use a script:-
http://romanrm.ru/en/librian

> Where can I look through the package's license?

Select the package here:-
http://packages.debian.org/search?

By clicking on the version of the package you're interested in you'll be
taken to a page which will have a link on the right-hand side for the
license information.

> King regards.

By default the installer selects the libre (main) repository - if you so
desire you may select additional repositories.

Debian is about choices.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/