ALSA instead of pulseaudio on new sid

Hi guys.
I have a fairly new install of sid with the new fancy gnome3 and all the
eye-candy tweaks. I don't really like it, but that's another story..

Anyway, before reinstalling sid I used to have the sound coming from
ALSA..it was working great. Mic worked, SPDIF worked and I had real
control over the volume level.
Now I'm running pulseaudio. Which sucks! Digital out is mute, sound
level seems to be reduced by 60-70% and I haven't even started trying to
configure it for HDMI.
I would really want to go back to ALSA, but I'm kind of afraid that it
might break my install. I tried following some ubuntu howtos but I
always end up with aptitude wanting to remove gnome-desktop-environment.
Does any one have experience on how to go about for replacing
pulseaudio? Or maybe some tips?

-RV