Re: Unable to boot into CompactFlash card - card not found by initrd

Hi,

Thus spoketh Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
unto us on Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:01:56 +0000:

> On Thu 19 Jan 2012 at 20:52:23 +0100, Michael Lange wrote:
>
> > So I think what i would need is a way to start at least one of these
> > hotplug events, the one that installs the CF card, from within the
> > initrd, *before* it tries to mount / from a device which has not yet
> > been initialized.
>
> You didn't respond to my final two questions, Contrary to my usual
> practice I'll provide their probable outcomes. 'ls -l' would not have
> shown the CF card. 'search --label CFCARD' would have said 'no such
> device'.

I wrote that the the BIOS doesn't know about the CF card, so I thought it
is obvious that grub won't know about it either ;)

> How do you expect GRUB to boot from a device it has no knowledge about?

I never said that I expect this nor did I say that it does not boot; as I
wrote, I boot from the *internal hard drive* and want then the kernel to
find the CF card. This is very similar to a setup I had a couple of years
ago on a machine with 20 GB hard disk limit. There I connected a 250 GB
HDD as secondary master and a smaller HDD containing a /boot partition as
primary master; then I had to *disable* the secondary master drive in the
BIOS so neither the BIOS nor grub knew about the 250 GB HDD, but it was
no problem for the linux kernel to find it and use it as / . So where /
lies is not grub's business at all, but the kernel's.

> Good luck, anyway.

Thanks.

Michael

Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on.
		-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.9