Re: Network not working on Shuttle XS35GTV2

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:46:17 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Mi, 11 ian 12, 23:56:56, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately there are no leds on the Shuttle. When I first noticed
>> the problem the link leds on the switch weren't on.
>
> Is that led still off?

Yes, the leds are still off.

>> Then I tried a different cable on a different port. Afterwards I
>> installed Win 7. After installing the driver it could connect to the
>> internet with the second cable attached to the second port. Thereafter
>> I tried the cable which was attached to my laptop and a third port on
>> the switch. The laptop has no problem connecting to the internet.
>
> As far as I understand you eliminated the switch and the cable as
> sources of problems.

Yes.

>> Do you think the Shuttle support can help me? But I doubt that they
>> know what to do and will tell me to install Windows :-(
>
> Yes, this might happen, but as far as I understand you already verified
> that it works with Windows. Maybe you should contact them anyway, even
> if just to let them know that Linux users of their products exist.

That's a good point. I will do that.

> Other things to try:
> - BIOS options or even update(s)

I reseted the BIOS to the factory default. But I will play again with the
setting.
Maybe Shuttle can deliver me a newer version. Compared to the newest BIOS
on their homepage I already have the newest version.

> - a newer kernel (you could use a USB stick to copy it over) - the Linux
> Live CD with the most recent kernel you can find

Ah yes, that was a former question if you meant a memory stick or a
ethernet stick. I will download the newest kernel and try to install it.
Otherwise I will try a live CD. Which one would be the best?

> However, at this point I'm just guessing. I found a related Ubuntu bug,
> maybe you should add more info there...
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/880316

I posted that bug. I will post the dmesg and ifconfig logs there.
But I have no clue how to run this apport-collect 880316 command Brad
mentioned in post #2. But maybe I can install Ubunt server version and
run the command there. Or maybe it's possible to switch to a terminal
with Ctrl+Alt+F2 like during the Debian installation.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards
Ramon