Re: rootdelay=9 kernal option - why?

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you need this only for upgrade to squeeze or to run squeeze afterwards ?
>
> I am running Squeeze (amd64) on 4 PCs here (fresh install from DVD),
> and no problems.

We need the kernel option from then on for the kernel used by squeeze.
 We typically have
mdadm style software raid on all boot systems, using /dev/md0
typically as root file system.  The rootdelay=9 doesn't cause much delay - that
is the maximum it might wait, but for us it perhaps pauses for 1 second.

On the most recent case, I saw this problem appear with an Intel based
motherboard, the SE7520JR22, from around 2006.  We are booting from a pair
of SCSI drives on Ultra 320 with chipset Symbios Logic 53c1030.

I also had a problem last year with an IBM xSeries 345.  In that case we needed
'rootdelay=9' and also kernel option: 'scsi_mod.scan=sync'.  Again,
the up to date
kernel from Debian 5 didn't require this option to boot up the system.