Re: problems with having two DHCP servers...

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 12:57 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> A limited amount of redundancy is good.  If one goes down, the network
> can still limp along.
>
> Anyway, that's the theory.
>
> Rick
>
> On Jan 5, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> >> I'm not the OP, but I do have this problem.  When I try to do an
> >> install (wheezy) on a network with two DHCP servers, the installer's
> >> dhcp-client never seems to get an IP address -- even though the two
> >> servers are both responding and both giving the same IP address.
> >
> > Then why have 2?

The problem is when they are administering addresses in the same range.
I've not configured DHCP for a long time so maybe this is common now and
the problems have all been resolved but, in the past, if one wanted
redundancy, one would administer different ranges on the same subnet so
that there would be no conflicts.  Hope that helps - John