Re: System doesn't start X on first boot

George writes:

> When I boot my computer, most of the time I get a command line without
> X starting. I have to "sudo reboot", wait for the system to reboot and
> then I get the correct X environment (I'm using awesome window manager
> but I also have kde installed).
>
> Any suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Some time ago, the nvidia driver had a timing issue with the X server,
so it randomly didn't start because the driver wasn't initialized at the
time X did.

In order to check this is the case, even you're not on nvidia hardware,
don't reboot, but just restart your desktop manager:

sudo service {kdm|gdm|xdm|...} restart

--
Alberto