Re: How to disable TLS in exim4 client part?

Hi,

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 21:59:38 +0100, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
I tried adding MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = no to exim4.conf.template[...]

This is not a yes/no value, it's a defined / not defined value. So by
defining it as "no" you're actually setting it to true. So you should
comment out the line, thus:

    # MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = yes

[...]

Thanks! I hardly would realize this myself :)

However this does not work for me.  Actually I believe it was me who
added MAIN_TLS_ENABLE line, so I just removed it, but exim4 still uses
STARTTLS when talking to that smarthost.

Additionally, comments just before ".ifdef MAIN_TLS_ENABLE" already
led me to believe this :

  # TLS/SSL configuration for exim as an SMTP server.
  # See /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz for explanations.

And "2.2.1. Exim 4 as TLS/SSL client" in that README.Debian does not
speak at all about disabling TLS.

  "Both exim4-daemon-heavy and exim4-daemon-light support TLS/SSL
   using the GnuTLS library and STARTTLS. Exim will use TLS via
   STARTTLS automatically as client if the server Exim connects
   to offers it."

So I guess that only way how to really disable TLS would be compiling
exim4 *without support* for TLS, which is waaay too scary for me, and
definitely not worth the effort.

Especially when there's this nifty[1] -v option to mail, which actually
solves the original offer in much better way: It simply shows all
the SMTPish information I need to STDERR, as well after STARTTLS as
before.

Thanks,
aL.

 1: http://pastebin.com/uN1d9s7v