Found (one) reason for packages not to do parallel builds?

Hi

Many Debian packages don't use more than 1 CPU even when passing -j$n
to dpkg-buildpackage with $n > 1.

(Concretely, my build command is:
 dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -b -r'fakeroot -u' -j2 )

I'm surprised that this is the case even in today's 'testing',
considering that most machines are multi-core now and I would expect
maintainers to be impatient themselves. Anyway, today I've noticed the
following line when building some package:

 make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to
parent make rule.

Googling found me

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2011-03/msg00045.html

which mentions to use $$(MAKE) instead of $(MAKE).

I haven't looked into the package build files yet because I'm lazy and
am usually put off by the usual complexity of builds. I'm asking
myself whether I should look into these packages and attempt to apply
the above fix somewhere. Then I'm asking what others are doing to
remedy the situation. And in the end I decide to just at least dump
this information here in case it would be useful for someone who might
actually do something about it...

Christian.