Re: MSI N210 graphics card causes boot failure

Sven:

I have executed the recommended procedure.  I didn't appreciate
the need for the remote login until you explained the purpose -
sorry for the delay.

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 11:29:51AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-12-31 21:41 +0100, Dean Allen Provins, P. Geoph. wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 04:41:11PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >>
> >> That should work around the problem.  If possible, use a second machine
> >> to log in via ssh and run "rmmod nouveau; modprobe nouveau modeset=1"
> >> then.
> >
> > Apending "nouveau.modeset=0" at boot time allowed the boot to proceed
> > normally.  "gdm" popped up a graphical screen as expected, BUT, the
> > resolution was 800X600.
> >
> > As "root", I then executed "rmmod nouveau; modprobe nouveau modeset=1"
> > which caused a loss of X (screen went black) and a loss of the mouse.
> > The keyboard continued to function allowing me to "halt" the system.
> > I was unable to bring up one of the 6 text screens, and had to work
> > blindly.
>
> That's why I suggested to log in from a second computer via ssh.  It's
> hard to do anything with a blank screen.
>
> > I examined the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (new MSI card) and compared it to
> > the /var/log/Xorg.0.log (old 6600 card).  It appears that the "nouveau"
> > module may not have been used.  The "VESA" module seems to be the module
> > of choice and all the higher resolutions were disabled.
>
> This is expected, the nouveau X driver needs kernel modesetting to work.
>
> > It seems that the "nouveau" modeset=1 does not function as expected.
>
> It is essential to find out why it does not work.  You might want to try
> my suggestion to to log in via ssh and then run "dmesg" after re-loading
> the nouveau module.  Boot with "drm.debug=0x04" to obtain additional
> information.  Also, try a 3.2.0-rc7 kernel from experimental.

I have performed the following to create the attached file:

	booted with "nouveau.modeset=0" and "drm.debug=0x04"

	logged in remotely

	executed "rmmod nouveau; modprobe nouveau modeset=1"

	executed dmesg > dmesg.drm.modeset_1

	gzipped the latter file

	I noted where the rmmod etc. was executed in the file
	(near line 643)

	Attached the file to this note...

I'll try the 3.2.0-rc7 kernel you mentioned after this note goes.

> > To your knowledge, are there alternative settings that one might use;
> > or do you recommend the binary nVidia driver?
>
> The only available alternative in wheezy/sid is the vesa driver which is
> probably not going to suite you.
>
> Sven

Regards,

Dean