Re: SATA disk errors

On 01/01/12 13:00, Camaleón wrote:

You better run a long test ("smartctl --test=long /dev/sdx") if you want
to full check the disks SMART status or even better yet, get the SeaTools
from Seagate website (it's a LiveCD) and run the manufacturer's own
utilities to check the SMART health of your disks.

Thanks Cameleón I did both. The long smart test revealed nothing inappropriate, and the manufacturer's test just said "Pass". I am therefore inclined to think that the reported read and seek errors are meaningless, or as Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.) has it, both for seek errors and raw read errors: "The raw value has different structure for different vendors and is often not meaningful as a decimal number".

And from Seagate's site regarding third-party tools:
Please remember that these third-party programs do not have proprietary access to Seagate hard disk information, and therefore often provide inconsistent and inaccurate results. SeaTools is more consistent and more accurate and is the standard Seagate uses to determine hard drive failure.

It's alwayd a good idea to update the backup copy but to be sure there is no
SMART problem, I would go for the hard disk manufacturer disc utilities.

I think good backups are key to this issue :)

Thanks all for your help!

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |