Re: MSI N210 graphics card causes boot failure

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:29:51 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2011-12-31 21:41 +0100, Dean Allen Provins, P. Geoph. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 04:41:11PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>>
>>> That should work around the problem.  If possible, use a second
>>> machine to log in via ssh and run "rmmod nouveau; modprobe nouveau
>>> modeset=1" then.
>>
>> Apending "nouveau.modeset=0" at boot time allowed the boot to proceed
>> normally.  "gdm" popped up a graphical screen as expected, BUT, the
>> resolution was 800X600.
>>
>> As "root", I then executed "rmmod nouveau; modprobe nouveau modeset=1"
>> which caused a loss of X (screen went black) and a loss of the mouse.
>> The keyboard continued to function allowing me to "halt" the system. I
>> was unable to bring up one of the 6 text screens, and had to work
>> blindly.
>
> That's why I suggested to log in from a second computer via ssh.  It's
> hard to do anything with a blank screen.

I guess blacklisting nouveau module should have be done from "init 1"
with no running X session at all.

>> I examined the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (new MSI card) and compared it
>> to the /var/log/Xorg.0.log (old 6600 card).  It appears that the
>> "nouveau" module may not have been used.  The "VESA" module seems to be
>> the module of choice and all the higher resolutions were disabled.

(...)

That's why you were able to boot, because the system loaded the VESA
driver :-)

>> To your knowledge, are there alternative settings that one might use;
>> or do you recommend the binary nVidia driver?

Before ditching "nuvó" I would try to find out if the card/chipset
(geforce 210) is supported within the open source driver. If the card is
unsupported, I would try installing Debian's stock nvidia closed source
driver. If neither works, your last chance is compiling the nvidia driver
from their site.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón