Re: Generating Innovative Ideas

On 01/01/12 11:29, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 6:12 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Because these lists don't pre-screen posts.
>
> On the contrary.

I stand corrected. Careless phrasing on my part - posts to these lists
aren't reviewed by humans before publishing.
<snipped>

This subject comes up frequently (sadly).

Yes there are some very effective filters in place (they block approx
2.5K posts a day) - but the low ham blockage comes at a price well known
to the companies that dwell at digitalg@ngster, w1ldfire and other
"blackhat" Scum Of the Earth educational sites[*1]. So approx 10% of the
new spam gets through - enough to make money for a few unscrupulous people.

People should mark the spam[*2] as such - which *will* improve the
filters, and notify Google/Bing/Yandex etc - which will, eventually,
remove the financial incentive for spamming in the first place.
If people don't want to buy Black Hat SEO services because it gets them
penalised by the search engines, then the filters will only have to deal
with the less motivated spammers.
The search results will then be more relevant, and the lists will have a
higher signal to noise ratio. Everybody worthwhile wins then.

Cheers

[*1] Neither of the sites (whose names I've slightly disguised) are
purely for black hats - it's just where their main revenue comes from,
and that their (private) forums are useful indicators of spamming trends.
[*2] Online
eg:-http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/12/msg01751.html and hit
the button OR by bouncing it to:-
report-listspam@lists.debian.org