Re: Installing a backported kernel on Squeeze at an early stage.

On Saturday 29 December 2012 13:52:05 Stephen Powell wrote:
> > I want to install Squeeze on a box in/on which the on board network card
> > is not recognised in Squeeze.
> >
> > The simple solution is just put a different network card in the box
> > temporarily while I install.  But this box is for a present, it is black,
> > it comes without spare blanking plates, and those already there have to
> > be snapped out, and cannot be replaced.  I am not keen to spoil the looks
> > as it is a present.
> >
> > So could any kind soul point me at the relevant thread?  It was fairly
> > recent.
>
> I don't recall the thread to which you are referring, Lisi, but from the
> subject line it sounds like the standard squeeze kernel does not contain
> the necessary drivers you need for the built-in network card but a later
> kernel does.  Is that right?

Yes.

> Yet you want to install squeeze and not
> wheezy? I believe if it were me, I'd install wheezy, using the latest
> wheezy installer.

My first thought too.  My husband has specifically requested Stable, not
Testing, and KDE3.  If I could give him a stable system, I don't think that
he would care - or even know - that it is not Stable.  Getting Trinity to
work stably on Wheezy was likely to be a challenge, but well worth a try.

So yesterday I downloaded yesterday's daily build and "installed" it.  All
went swimmingly until I tried to reboot.  Nada.  There was nothing there, or
anyhow the BIOS couldn't see it.

This may have been partly because Windows had been installed. %*&£"%^&!  I buy
from that firm *because* they don't preinstall Windows unless you
specifically ask (and pay for!) it.

It took some getting rid of, so my temper was a little short by the time I
came to Debian and, I thought, sanity.  I won't bore you with all the
problems, but they were legion.

And - sadly the tin hat on it - TDE (aka KDE3) is still rather shaky on
Wheezy.  I could get it going, but I am not sure how stable it would be.  Had
Wheezy installed OK I would have tried it, but as it didn't that rather
settled the matter!
[snip]

I shall try Kenshi Muto's CD and take it from there.

> As an alternative, you might try a PCMCIA / PC card network adapter, if
> your computer has a slot for these devices,

see above. :-(

> In short, I'd install wheezy if I were you.

Yes, I would if I were me too.  I use TDE, but it is quite stable enough on
Wheezy for me.  But it is a present for my husband's 80th birthday.  I have
talked about what he wants in terms of a reinstall on his old computer, and
he is both clear and adamant.  He hates change, so I added as an inducement
that he could only have Squeeze for a limited amount of time now anyway.  In
this case, he'd rather have change and go to Wheezy when he has to do so.

He is away at the moment, and I want to have it up and running when he comes
back in the middle of the week.

Thanks for the help.

Lisi