perl boot scripts

When is Perl available at boot?

I've built this huge shell script to configure Iptables at boot, but over the years, it's gotten bloated and there are a lot of kludges in it. So I was thinking about rewriting it in Perl. But I see people in the Debian docs and forums saying that Perl isn't available for init scripts (and there don't seem to be any either). But I can't find anything saying why not -- C programs work, and Perl is written in C, so it seems to me that Perl ought to run...

So do I need to go to C? With a starter shell script in /etc/init.d? What *is* available at boot? A link with the proper magic words would do fine.

TIA.

--
Glenn English