Re: Are all files produced by GPL Ghostscript copyrighted by 'Artifex Software, Inc.'?

Hello Vaibhav,

please fix your mail client. It currently breaks threading (no In-Reply-To:
or References: header), CC’s people for no good reason (I am subscribed to
the list and do not wish to receive off-list copies, cf. [1]) and doesn’t
break lines sensibly (at about 80 characters).

Vaibhav Niku <vaibhav_niku@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am not convinced that the notice is harmless. At any rate, since
  the GS code is released as GPL, I am well within my rights to alter
  it as I suggested. (But, IANAL.)

Sure. And if someone later wants to find out what exactly they are
allowed to do with that GS code or wish to obtain a different license
for it (e.g. to use in a closed-source programme) they will have to
jump through loops to find out who actually holds the copyright to the
PS prolog to contact them and ask for a different license.

> You will find that what I said is a standard procedure in dealing
  with issues like these. It is not copyright infringement -- removing
  the copyright notice from the produced PS code will be copyright
  infringement, however.

If the prolog is copyrighted, it will still be copyrighted even if you
remove the generation of the copyright header. Of course you could
remove the code that generates said copyrighted prolog, but you will
find the resulting .ps file to be unhelpful.

> Firefox is free software and you are free to modify it, either
  before or after you install it. I chose to modify it before I
  installed it. I modified it by removing the EULA. So there is no
  EULA, no agreement between me and the Mozilla Corporation, no
  contract. Just the free software. Thank you for the free software.

The Mozilla foundation granted him the rights as set out in the
license, and only these allow him to use the software. Last time I
checked, this EULA was simply a reiteration of the license (i.e.
Mozilla Public License) and some hints at the trademark rules, which
also apply regardless of whether someone clicks „I agree“.

Best regards,

Claudius