Re: Some applications freezing up

On Sb, 22 dec 12, 19:36:18, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I launch some applications from within gnome 3 mainly rhythmbox and
> gmpc the following occurs:
> * The fan goes to pull speed.
> * The desktop is locked up for about a minute
> * After about a minute the fan slows back down and the desktop is no
> longer frozen allowing me to use these programs.

I get similar symptoms when mutt encounters a new GPG key in a
mailinglist and gpg rebuilds the trustdb, completely hogging one core. I
can tell because I have a CPU monitor in the panel.

My suggestion would be to find some application that can write a log
with sufficient granularity to see which part of your system is hogged
(but my money is on the CPU). This could also be a home made script ;)

You might need to 'nice' the monitor application/script so that it will
be able to do its work while the hog is locking up your system.

Good hunting,
Andrei