Re: OT: Captchas?

On 20 Dec 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 19:12 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Ralf writes:
> > > In real life [captchas are] most of the times are completely
> > > unreadable for me.
> >
> > I often find them insoluble as well.
>
> :D
>
> For people using braille they for sure much more fun, than they are
> already for you and me :D.

I join in the chorus of people who have trouble with the things,
especially now that my sight is getting worse.

>From the other end, as a user, I've also run into a problem. My blog
runs on serendipity, which has a spam plugin that uses captchas. I had
this turned on but a reader who often posts replies said he couldn't get
through it. So I tried myself and the same thing happened: I got through
once in about a dozen tries. So I've turned it off, so far without
causing a flood of spam.

On the other hand, when it was turned on I was still getting literally
hundreds of spam piostings, so I don't know how useful the things are
anyway.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk