Re: which version of debian to download

Le 18.12.2012 22:16, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 21:52 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
I might be wrong on some points, because I am not an expert

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s05.html.en
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en

Table 3.2. Recommended Minimum System Requirements
RAM (minimal) 	RAM (recommended) Hard Drive
128 megabytes 	512 megabytes 	5 gigabytes

I see "You must have at least 56MB of memory and 650MB of hard disk space to perform a normal installation. Note that these are fairly minimal numbers." and
"No desktop	64 megabytes	256 megabytes	1 gigabyte
 With Desktop	128 megabytes	512 megabytes	5 gigabytes"

And for amd64 (I was saying that there are not big differences for needed memory for an architecture or another):

You must have at least 80MB of memory and 650MB of hard disk space to perform a normal installation. Note that these are fairly minimal numbers.

No desktop	64 megabytes	256 megabytes	1 gigabyte
With Desktop	128 megabytes	512 megabytes	5 gigabytes

So, there is a little more memory needed to install, but not to make things running. But I do not think I will see an amd64 with less than 512MB someday :D Anyway, there is nothing related to "more than 2G of ram, install amd64"

Now, in my own experience, it seem those numbers are for gnome and kde desktops, since with xfce4, 64 megs are ok on one of my computers. Not fast as lightings, of course, but enough to use for simple tasks (playing music, going on some websites with uzbl... of course, you can forget firefox, chrome, opera...) :)

there has been extensions for i386
(or newer, not sure) processors to handle more than 4Go of RAM memory.

packages.debian.org/de/squeeze-backports/linux-image-686-pae

More about the releases:
http://www.debian.org/releases/