Re: udev device mapper rules for early boot?

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> On 11.12.2012 19:00, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have created a udev rule to set the owner of a specific block device:
>>
>> SUBSYSTEM=="block",
>> ENV{DM_UUID}=="LVM-yYuoI8k05GWxZnz9BeEIwPUGGeojzF3dZZmXTYRqC051Tllj76OHdDlzYhKZUu7u",
>> OWNER="1000"
>
> [..]
>
>> I have added a custom hook to copy this rule into the initrd. I also
>
> [..]
>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could debug this further? Why is
>> my rule ignored when the volume comes up the first time?
>
> Just a wild guess: the initrd does not have a user/group with uid 1000,
> so the chown fails.

The initrd actually does not have a /etc/group or /etc/passswd file at
all. However, that isn't stopping udev from correctly chgrp'ing the
device to disk. How this works is entirely unclear to me, but I'd assume
that the same magic would apply to setting the owner...?

Best,

   -Nikolaus