Re: acroread episode

2012-12-13 05:25, lina skrev:
Hi,

1. I kept the acroread related from updating for half a year, I guess.

2. Today, I tried full-upgrade,
[...]
3. From http://www.deb-multimedia.org/

I try:

To install new acroread packages :
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install acroread

Now:

  apt-get install acroread
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
[long list of i386 packages]
Suggested packages:
[list of i386 packages]
Recommended packages:
   cups-bsd:i386 mime-support:i386 hicolor-icon-theme:i386 xml-core:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   lpr
   [long list of i386 packages]
0 upgraded, 76 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

4. $ uname -a
Linux debian 3.3.5 #1 SMP Thu May 10 16:24:07 SGT 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am confused about how to install the acroread, without installing
other i386 packages.

Short answer: You cant. You had the same things installed before, and they were just hidden inside of ia32-libs.

Acroread is now a multiarch-package, as it says on the deb-multimedia website, and the amd64 package for acroread is gone. The point of multiarch is to allow installation of the 32-bit package belonging to the i386 arch and using that acroread on your amd64 system.

The i386 package of acroread has dependencies on lots of other i386 libraries. Previously the 32-bit acroread was packaged in an amd64 package with dependency on ia32-libs. ia32-libs was a very large package containing all of the 32-bit libraries that acroread depended on.

In the new world you can remove the large and unmaintanable ia32-libs and instead install well-maintained packages from i386.

Hope that is clear enough.

Regards

Johan