Re: partition table not sticky

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 01:06:17PM +0530, J. B wrote:
> I have repeatedly do the same but no luck. no luck with cfdisk. Changes are not stored !!!

This part I do not know.

> only gparted is successful but it makes my 320 GB HDD to 280 GB. 40GB lost !!!

This is most likely because of gparted is creating GUID partition table
(GPT) instaed of good old MBR.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

> What is the problem with fdisk and cfdisk ???

I bet you used gparted first to create GPT and now trying to use these.
This is just a wild guess.  (Some fdisk can not handle GPT as I
remember)

If you wish to make HDD use MBR instead of GPT, you can reset it by
something like (assuming your disk is /dev/hdx):
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx bs=4k
$ sudo fdisk /dev/hdx

This should work.

You can also set partition table as msdos via parted.
$ sudo parted /dev/hdx mklabel msdos

See:
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_disk_partition_configuration

Osamu