Re: upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy

thanks Bob for your detailed reply

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, Bob Proulx wrote:

Also check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* for any additional files that are
contributing to the list.  Ensure that there are none.

  I had actually removed them

What was the reason for the reboot?  Did you lose power?  You weren't
done yet and should not have rebooted at that point in the upgrade.

  I first tried without rebooting, and as it failed, I tried again after reboot,
  according a recommendation I saw in a debian forum

As Tom said those are Squeeze versions.  For example in Wheezy the
package libmyodbc would be version 5.1.10-2+b1 not 5.1.6-1.  That is
why Tom asked for the apt-cache policy output.

  as I replied, I know that 5.1.6-1 is the Squeeze installed version, but I can't
  understand why it can't be upgraded, i.e. what prevents the
  dependencies to be fulfilled.

In addition to the sources.list and sources.list.d also ensure that
any /etc/apt/preferences file has been removed.  Contents of that file
will affect pinning.

  I also removed the preferences files

Check that there aren't packages in the "hold" state.

 $ apt-mark showhold

   this parameter exists in the Wheezy version, but not in mine (apt 0.8.10.3)
   I use
   # dpkg --get-selections "*"|grep -e "hold$"

   anyway. I just had iceweasel in hold, and I put it in install, when reading
   the message from pkgProblemResolver, with

    echo  "iceweasel install" | dpkg --set-selections

    but the problem remains.

   I did again update / upgrade / dist-upgrade
   ==> same result

 # apt-get install libmyodbc

     I also tried that.
     the error message told me that there was unmet dependancies,

      initscripts : Breaks: console-seuop
      initscripts : Breaks: nfs-common
      python-apt :  Breaks: update-notifier

     I then did
     # apt-get install   console-setup
      and that worked. Encouraging, isn't it?
     but for the other ones, I ran into some kind of endless loop
     # apt-get install   nfs-common
        libc6-dev : Breaks: gcc-4.4
     # apt-get install   gcc-4.4
        initscripts : Breaks: nfs-common
        libglib2.0-0 : Breaks: gnome-control-center
        libva1 : Breaks: vlc-nox

   When I run
   # apt-get install
   I get "1763 ackages not upgraded"

   Is it possible to clear this list of packages waiting for upgrade, to
   start from a clean state?

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel