(SOLVED) Re: Memory errors on new memory in new system

On 12/01/2012 01:11 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 11/29/2012 10:24 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 11/28/2012 9:14 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 11/27/2012 11:09 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 11/27/2012 11:29 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
       Gigabyte 970A-DS3 MB
       8GB (2x4GB) Patriot G3 RAM
The DIMMS are 1600.  According to the BIOS the CPU Timing is at 200 and
the memory is at x8.0 which matches the 1600 speed of the memory.  How
would I set that to match 1333?
The timings are 4-5-5-15.
Those timings are not correct for DDR3-1600.  The timings you show above
are for DDR3-800 (PC3-6400).

The fastest DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) modules have minimum SPD timings of
8-8-8-24.  The slowest are 11-11-11-28.

The information you're providing doesn't match reality.  With DDR3-1600
and those timings your mobo would simply not POST, and you'd likely get
loud beeps indicating memory failure.  If those timings are actually
what your mobo is auto detecting, then you have DDR3-800 sticks, or...

It's possible that you have mismatched DIMMS, one stick of 1600 and one
stick of 800, maybe 1333 ad 800.  That would easily explain the memory
problems you're having, as most mobo BIOS don't handle DIMM mismatches
very well, if at all.

Pull your DIMMs, write down the numbers on each, and respond here with
those numbers and we'll go from there.  If you have matching DDR3-1600
DIMMs then your mobo isn't reading SPD and setting timings correctly,
though this is very unlikely as I mentioned.  If you have two matched
DR3-800 sticks you'll want to try 6-6-6-15 timings.  If you have
mismatched DIMMs, one 800 and one 1600, etc, then you'll need to have
them replaced with a matching set.

Now that you mention it, when I ran Memtest86+ I wrote down the output and I just checked what it said. The line of output said:

Settings: RAM: 400 (DDR-800) / CAS: 4-5-5-15 / DDR3 (64 bits)

The box clearly said that the speed was 1600.

I don't remember if that was for the first set of memory, or for the second set that I exchanged for. In either case, both sets display the same symptoms. Two separate sets being bad seems suspicious. Could Patriot have had a bad batch of sticks. I am thinking of exchanging the memory again tomorrow for Kingston, or Corsair, depending on what Fry's has available in my local store.

Marc

I'm calling this case settled. I went back to Fry's today and returned the second kit of Patriot Memory. I got a store creidit and went back to pick out new memory. Fry's does not carry Micron memory, and only occasionally has Crucial. They were out of the Kingston that I had been thinking about so I got a pair of 4GB Corsair sticks at 1333 MHz. I have run them through 2 full passes of Memtest86+ with no errors.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. Thanks especially to Stan for triggering my memory that I had written down the output from Memtest86+ so that I could see that it did not match what the package, and the sticks themselves said they were.

I now have a system that is running well and not claiming to have any errors. It has only taken me two weeks to get to this point, but I'm there. All is right with the world, or, at least with my new system.

Marc