Re: Boot loaders for Linux that can also boot FreeBSD

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 02:58:05PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> my apologies for cross-posting this to several Linux mailing lists.

What you have done is referred to as multiposting.

"This is distinct from multiposting, which is the posting of separate
identical messages, individually, to each channel, (a forum, a
newsgroup, an email list, or topic area)."

"Enforcement actions against crossposting individuals vary from simple
admonishments up to total lifetime bans."

Crossposting is frowned upon, multiposting is considered evil.

"Multi-posting is a waste of bandwidth, money, and people's time, with
no advantages whatever, and should never be indulged in."
Source: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

I sincerely suggest that you read this faq:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/
Ensure you understand the meaning of the word sarcasm before doing so.

> On a FreeBSD mailing list somebody wrote:

So, not just "several Linux mailing lists."

OK, If this is any help, I have this:

root@tal:~# less /etc/grub.d/40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply
# type the menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful
# not to change the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "NetBSD Installer" {
set root=(hd0,msdos5)
knetbsd /boot/netbsd/netbsd-INSTALL_FLOPPY
}

root@tal:~# ls -al /boot/netbsd/
total 9444
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Sep 14  2011 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4096 Nov 14 22:48 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9645551 Sep 15  2011 netbsd-INSTALL_FLOPPY

oppressing." --- Malcolm X