OT : BSD vs Linux was Re : Boot loaders for Linux that can also boot FreeBSD

Le 30.11.2012 22:21, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 10:45 -0800, Weaver wrote:
GAG

Being able to boot only 9 kernels isn't enough.

If I want to compare two kernel-rt and two full preempt kernels on two
distros, I already need to be able to boot 8 kernels.

Currently on my machine:

I'm sorry, Too Long, I did not read the full list.

More seriously, it sounds you need a very high number of kernels.
Oh, and, I admit, I did not read everything about your subject, so if I ask a question already asked, just insult me I'll understand...

I have questions about why are you needing so much kernels. That's not really common... I am not a professional of computer administration and so I have never seen a computer with a kernel different than a windows one... but I understand some differences between POSIX and windows kernels. I can not say the same between POSIX kernels... (Oh, I know, Linux is not a really POSIX kernel. Not enough money? That's not the problem here, I am speaking about technical differences)

Oh, and... another question.
I am from the young generation. It might be an "error" but I have always asked myself what is the real difference between those two kernels (BSD/Linux). Also, I have learned nearly nothing about computer sciences with my teachers. Learned most things by myself, but that's not enough for me (or for employers here. They can go to hell, I do not mind).

Trying to answer you made me doing some researches about BSD "vs" linux and I have found an interesting document (note the quotes around the versus... I am an unknowledged guy so I try to protect my words with that seal) that I did not finished at the moment (http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/02) I wonder if things have changed, or not. I would like to know the difference between those kernels... I have "heard" so many things across the Internet, and most of them were saying that BSD is better (like for security, this is an example). But, I have also heard many windows users saying that their beloved OS is a crap, saying Linux is a good OS but they even do not know what is a linux's based OS... so I can not just trust void arguments. (imho, each os should have advantages, or it would have disappeared).

That's completely out of thread, and I am sorry to hijack it, but those are real questions, and I would be glad if someone could reply to those.