RE: Dying hard drive?

> First and foremost, double check that your SATA cables are properly
> secure.

Yes, they are firmly seated. Good catch though.

> Install smartctl

This is part of the smartmontools package. Took me a sec to find it, and I
mention it for anyone else following this.

and run smartctl -a /dev/$disk0 (where $disk0
> is e.g. sda); check to see if any of the various SMART attributes
> indicate a problem.
>
> Run a short, then a long SMART self test
>
> smartctl -t short /dev/$disk0
> smartctl -t long /dev/$disk0

Yes, the disk is sda (and the other is sdb). I wasn't sure if the same naming
convention still applied in the case of LVM.

I did the short test:
   smartctl -t short /dev/sda
and received a message the test would complete in two minutes. After a few
minutes I checked for errors:
   smartctl  -l error /dev/sda
The return message stated there were "No Errors Logged"

I will run the long test this evening. I assume that if it comes back with
no errors that I may be OK?

Thanks Jon, I appreciate the help.