Re: /lib/systemd/systemd-hostnamed hang

On 11/25/12, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>> It doesn't hang. It is a system daemon which just waits sits there and
>>> waits for requests (via D-Bus).
>>> Nothing unexpected here aside from starting this tool directly.

>> $ man systemd-hostnamed
>> No manual entry for systemd-hostnamed

> The latest version of system has hostnamectl and a man page for
> systemd-hostnamed.

Sounds good. I'll look out for it.

> Even if you weren't using systemd, you would've had the xterm problem
> because you removed the standard "127.0.1.1 ..." line from
> "/etc/hosts",

False assumption. I reinstalled in a bit of a rush, and networking
didn't get set up as part of installation. So that line never got put
in by the installer. All I had was the 127.0.0.1 localhost line, to
which I just added my proper hostname to solve this 'extended delay'
problem.

Should I put my proper hostname as a separate 127.0.1.1 line instead?

> although I'm not sure how xterm would behave with the
> hostname known by the kernel being different from the one on the
> "127.0.1.1" line.

It hangs for 10 to 20s before opening. But only with systemd bootup.
Today I suspended my laptop, took it off it's dock, put it back on
dock about 3 hrs later and tried to unsuspend, no go - various usb
errors spewing. Hard reset, no reboot under systemd (disk checks), try
again, no.
Back to /sbin/init, success. Try a final time to check systemd bootup
- no go on systemd.
So I'm now stuck back on /sbin/init. Again.

And now, the xterm 'extended pause' does not happen, even if I remove
my 'proper' hostname from /etc/hosts (so that I cannot ping my
hostname).

So, I guess it's time to file a bug, somewhere... in relation to systemd

> Anyway, AFAIU, systemd-hostnamed is there to provide an interface for
> GUIs to change the hostname. At the CLI, "hostname <new-hostname>"
> (and other changes should the new name have to be persistent) are
> still the way to go - unless you have a version of systemd with
> hostnamectl.

AND make sure that there is an entry in /etc/hosts for your new hostname, yes?
That was the problem I had, at least when running systemd.
That's what I think should be documented in the hostname command.

Any reason I should not file a bug against hostname command re this?

Thank you guys very much for your patience, I know I've got a lot to learn...
Zenaan