Re: pulseaudio breaking things again

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 20:10 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Script started on Mon 19 Nov 2012 08:06:14 PM EST
> jude@d-216-36-20-9:~$ ./ppr.sh
> type shutdown to return to linux.
> VLC media player 2.0.4 Twoflower (revision 2.0.3-289-g6e6100a)
> [0x1a95d18] inhibit interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
> [0x1a95d18] main interface error: no suitable interface module
> [0x1a95d18] main interface error: no suitable interface module
> [0x19cb108] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
> [0x19cb108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
> [0x1a95d18] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
> VLC media player 2.0.4 Twoflower
> Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> > [0x1a2de78] access_http access: Raw-audio server found, mp3 demuxer selected
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> [0x1a46c08] alsa audio output error: cannot open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> [0x1a46c08] main audio output error: Audio output failed
> [0x1a46c08] main audio output error: The audio device "default" could not be used:
> No such file or directory.
> [0x1a46c08] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)
> [0x1a46c08] main audio output error: no suitable audio output module
> [0x1a51378] main decoder error: failed to create audio output
> shutdown
> Shutting down.
> [0x1a95d18] [cli] lua interface: Requested shutdown.
> Bye-bye!
> > jude@d-216-36-20-9:~$ exit
> exit
>
> Script done on Mon 19 Nov 2012 08:06:45 PM EST
> The script runs vlc with a specific url when it works.
> Has anyone seen anything similar to this?  I have pulseaudio on another
> installation and while that other distribution has just had an update
> pulseaudio only allows the alsa sound card to play for a short time then
> crashes the connection.

I can't see anything related to pulseaudio.

However, I guess I know your other distro, IIRC you'
re subscribed to another list, where I'm subscribed too. Yesterday there
was a post to a link that was linked with:

http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/

Too funny they still don't understand that PA doesn't work with some
cards, they still ignore that there are installs without dependencies to
PA and they don't name a sound server that is better and allows to use
several audio apps at the same time too. IOW they still spread lies.

A RME HDSPe AIO doesn't work, with PA.
A vanilla Ubuntu install doesn't need PA. PA only depends to a
meta-package.
Jackd is able to do the job, without making insane adjustments, as PA
does (increasing one volume and decreasing another volume at the same
time, an engineer doing this would lose his job).

However, they claim that ...

"If you need to stop the PulseAudio process completely, execute these
commands:

echo autospawn=no > ~/.pulse/client.conf
pulseaudio -k

If you need PulseAudio back again, remove ~/.pulse/client.conf, then try
to start an application that uses PulseAudio, and it should start
automatically."

Did you test what happens if you stop PA and test your script after
doing this?

Regards,
Ralf