Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 05:16:29 -0500 (EST), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I remember one issue that occurred very often,
> in /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION the /build and /source links were
> missing or bad.
> "build -> /usr/src/linux-3.6.5-rt14" but correct would be linked
> against "linux-headers-3.6.5-rt14".
> IIRC this was an issue for my latest Debian installs too.

I've never encountered this.  Or if I have, I've never noticed
it or it never mattered.  I've built out-of-kernel-source-tree modules
in conjunction with a custom kernel (by using the modules_image target)
and I've also been forced to deal with out-of-kernel-source-tree
Debian module packages that aren't designed to work with kernel-package
(by using the kernel_headers target and dkms), but in both cases
I had no trouble building the modules.  Remember, for cases where
the module source package is designed to work with kernel-package,
you don't need to build or install a headers package in order to
build the modules.  That's one of the qualities I like.  I think it's
stupid to require that the user build and install a headers package
when the entire kernel source tree is already installed.  A headers
package is a subset of the source tree, is it not?  So why
build or install a headers package if the source tree is installed?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :