Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

Am Sonntag, 11. November 2012 schrieb Tom H:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> This appears to be really old.
> >>
> >> I suggest looking at
> >>
> >> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
> >>
> >> and "make-kpkg" from "kernel-package". These are the two approaches
> >> I know of. I still use make-kpkg, cause it does everything for me
> >> in just one command.

> >> Turned out to be a permissions problem.
> >>
> >> So you used your regular user to compile the kernel.
> >>
> >> But a deprecated place for it. Just compile the kernel from a
> >> directory in your home directory.
> >
> > Thanks, Martin. Yes, I have looked at the website you refer to, and
> > tried to use it. And I have the book to which you refer. The trouble
> > is, that for the basic stuff they are simply above my head. Stephen
> > gives more explanation and more and clearer instructions.
> >
> > I shall certainly avail myself of what the book and
> > http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ say - but shall also use
> > Stephen's site, which I find very useful. So much of the
> > documentation from which one has to work is old - but that doesn't
> > make it useless. And anyway, I think that Stephen updates his site,
> > so it is not outdated.
>
> Stephen's page isn't outdated. Perhaps kernel-package has been
> deprecated by the kernel maintainers [1] [2] - even though it's still
> being patched according to the wheezy changelog.

Right. I was too quick on that.

Sorry.

> I've also never seen any Debian documentation pointing to building a
> kernel elsewhere than in "/usr/src/". It's been the RHEL/Fedora way
> for years though.

That doesn´t make it a good practice.

I still think using a directory in home is more suitable and am following
recommendation of Greg Kroah-Hartman and others there as well as the
official recommendation in kernel README:

INSTALLING the kernel source:

 - If you install the full sources, put the kernel tarball in a
   directory where you have permissions (eg. your home directory) and
   unpack it:

     gzip -cd linux-3.X.tar.gz | tar xvf -

   or

     bzip2 -dc linux-3.X.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

   Replace "X" with the version number of the latest kernel.

   Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
   incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
   files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
   whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.

Granted, you can just build in a sub directory of /usr/src, but still I
would not clog that directory with my own manual builds and just leave it
to the package manager, module-assistant, possibly dkms.

Ciao,