Re: After updating wheezy, sound card not properly recognized anymore

Simon Hoerder,  9.11.2012:

> On 09/11/12 10:47, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Check your DE's Pulseaudio settings too.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Using PulseAudio Volume control:
> Nothing is muted, all volume settings are 100%. But it lists "Dummy
> Output" as output device.
>
> Using PulseAudio Manager:
> As sink only auto_null (Description - "Dummy Output") is listed and
> when I play music (e.g. from Rhythmbox) it is listed for that sink and
> the volume meters are active, indicating the music to be played.
>
> Server Information:
>  Server Name:         pulseaudio
>  Server Version:      2.0
>  Default Sample Type: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
>  Host Name:           [ok]
>  Use Name:            simon
>  Default Sink:        auto_null
>  Default Source:      auto_null.monitor
>
> Client Information:
>  Linked to Library Version:     2.0.0
>  Compiled with Library Version: 0.9.8
>
> The client information looks odd to me.
>
> I've attached the pulse configuration files. In the .conf files,
> everything seems to be commented out. I've had a quick look at the .pa
> files but decided I better not mess with them.

I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of Pulse Audio but I had a
problem on a wheezy machine relatively recently that was solved when I
added the user to the "audio" group.  (PA seems to run either in system
mode or user mode.  In the latter, only members of audio can use stuff.)

BTW, in your previous message I noticed you used sudo for lspci, lsmod
and dmesg.  You can run those with just a plain user.  On the
other hand, if your sound issue was really system vs. user, then maybe
if you'd run speaker-test with sudo, you'd have heard something. :)