Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

On Saturday 10 November 2012 15:36:27 Tom Furie wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 09:31:57AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> > Hi, Lisi.  My guess is that this is a permissions issue.  Is your id a
> > member of group src?  (Issue the "groups" command and see if src is one
> > of the groups listed in the output of the command.)  Here is a summary of
> > the permission environment that must exist before you attempt to unpack
> > the source as a non-root user:
> >
> > (1) The directory /usr/src must be owned by user root and by group src.
> > (2) The group (src) must have read, write, and execute permissions on
> > /usr/src. (3) The group (src) must have the "set group id" permission on
> > /usr/src. (4) Your non-root userid must be a member of group src.
> > (5) The output of the "groups" command, when issued by your non-root
> > userid, must list "src" as one of the groups.  Please review the
> > "Introduction" section of the document.
>
> Alternatively, if you can't or don't want to have your user in the src
> group, just extract the tarball somewhere under $HOME. From $HOME you
> can run "tar xf /usr/src/linux-source-<version>.tar.bz2" (or whatever)
> and it will extract it into $HOME.

Thanks, Tom.

I had in fact already added my user to the group src, because that instruction
came in Stephen's Introduction to his tome.  But I can see this knowledge
being very useful in the future for untarring something in a directory for
which I have not got the right permissions.

So I have instructed my increasingly unreliable memory to note this well. :-)

Lisi