Re: multi-boot+grub2+separate boot partition

On Sat 10 Nov 2012 at 06:34:27 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> I wish to use grub2 to multi-boot the following systems:
>
>     => Debian "stable" (Squeeze) on /dev/sda6
>
>     => Debian "testing" (Wheezy) on /dev/sda7
>
>     => Ubuntu (10.x)             on /dev/sda8
>
> This is a "work" machine and my primary interest is "stable".  But I
> need to become familiar with Wheezy, which is about to become
> "stable".  I am installing Ubuntu as a safety net, because Ubuntu
> developers seem to find a way to get all of the peripheral devices
> working, even if it the resulting configuration is non-standard.
>
> I have read the Debian installation manual and I have searched with
> Google, but thus far I have not found a HOWTO for such an arrangement
> using a separate boot partition.

I cannot think of a reason for having such a separate partition.

> I plan to update "testing" from time to time.  Once Wheezy becomes
> "stable", I plan to drop Squeeze and install the new "testing".  I may
> even update Ubuntu.
>
> It seemed to me that the proper approach would be to use a separate
> boot partition on /dev/sda1, and to make it policy always to run
> "update-grub" from "stable".
>
> I instructed the Squeeze installer to install grub2 to /dev/sda1.
> I instructed the Wheezy  installer to install grub2 to /dev/sda7.
> I instructed the Ubuntu  installer to install grub2 to /dev/sda8.

I'd have installed GRUB to /dev/sda each time.

Then, if Squeeze was not the last installation done and I wanted it to
head the GRUB menu, I'd have booted into it and run

   grub-install /dev/sda