Re: Using multiarch on wheezy

Hello there,

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 11:31:12AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I'm trying to install the i386 version of openjdk-7-jre on an amd64
> system.  So I did:
>
> # dpkg --add-architecture i386
> # apt-get update
>
> This appears to have been successful.  But I still cannot install
> packages:
> [...]
>  emacs23 : Depends: libgif4 (>= 4.1.4) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
>
> This does not make much sense.  A proper version of libgif4 is
> available:
> [...]
> It is also installed for amd64:
> [...]
> Why does apt-get complain about dependency, which is already
> fullfilled?

giflib hasn't been converted to multi-arch yet, cf.
http://bugs.debian.org/647497. As such, you can now install either the
amd64 version or the i386 version, but not both.
The dependency apt-get complains about stems from the Conflicts of the
package on itself, which would be broken if trying to have both versions
installed at the same time. As such, once you install libgif4:i386, apt
would try to remove libgif4:amd64 which in turn is something
emacs23:amd64 doesn't quite like.

Yes, it seems apt and friends need some more helpful output when dealing
with multi-arch, and methinks some people work on that. Using aptitude
myself, I most of the time didn't have much trouble seeing where it
breaks, though ...

HTH,
Flo