Re: btrfs on LUKS

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:01:40 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2012 5:46 PM, Christian Stalp wrote:
> > Hello out there,
> > I want to prepare my new ssd as an encrypted fs. In order to do that I
> > took a reasonably new version of the network-installer and created:
> > first an ext3 partition to hold the kernel. Then one MB of free space
> > (the debian-installer does it that way if I choose an encrypted
> > FS-installation, can anybody tell my why?). Then the LUKS-partition and
> > at least 20% free space, because TRIM is a problem on encrypted SSDs:
> > http://asalor.blogspot.de/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html
> >
> > But on that LUKS-partition I want to create a btrfs-FS, but the only fs
> > I can choose here is ext3? Is there another way. I did it allready with
> > a LVM in between (dev->LUKS->LVM) but this bizarre because btrfs has
> > allready LVM-features. So is there another way except for mounting this
> > ssd and use btrfs-convert?
>
> Why didn't you purchase a self encrypting SSD?  Eliminates all of these
> issues.  Lots of them available today.

Price? Doing a quick check on Newegg, the cheapest SSDs currently start
at about $50-$60 (although one can occasionally find one on sale /
special / after rebate for $20-$30), and searching within those
results for 'encryption' indicates that the cheapest with that
capability is about $95.

No idea what the premium is for higher quality / more modern /
larger capacity drives, or to what extent Newegg's prices are
representative.

Celejar