Controlling automount

I am running  Debian stable (Linux foobar 3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 23 07:41:30 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

If  rhythmbox is up when I plug in my  digital camera, rhythmbox grabs it as a 'removable device' and I cannot get photos from the camera.  (Apps like gthumb or gphotofs fail.)  Once I eject the camera under rhythmbox, these apps work OK and I can get the photos.

In the past, I was offered the choice of how/if removable devices were treated.  I would like to configure the system so that I have a choice of how to handle removable devices.

Can someone help.  Thanks.

--Len Berman