RE: ServeRAID M5110e driver for Debian Squeeze

Hello Berni,

>> I have a new server IBM X3650 M4 with a raid controller ServeRaid
>> M5110e. I'm having a problem finding driver for this device. I tried
>> to install debian using the ISO from http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ which
>> say that it has the driver for the M5110e but still no avail. I tried
>> the megaraid_sas, megaraid, megaraid_mbox and megaraid_mm but nothing
>> works.
>>
>> Anyone have an experience with this?
>>

> Use software raid. Reconfigure the controller to present the disks individually then:
>
> http://www.iprobot.net/linux-tutorial/how-to-setup-software-raid-in-debian-ubuntu/

For a software raid veteran that might a good solution but....

A HP hardware RAID controller is build to make it easy on the users. Automatic failover AND fall back when a hot spare is present> The controller understands when a new disk is placed after a failure and updates the RAID array all by itself. A software RAID solution is a lot more maintenance and should be considered a last option. But... It might be the last option for S0lid if he cannot get a driver for the controller.

Bonno Bloksma