Re: Netinstall issue

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM, kk s <kks.kbase@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install OS for a server with the below steps,
>
> Downloaded the vmlinuz, initrd.gz from hd-media folder from the mirror
> Passed the preseed file at vmlinuz line like " /vmlinuz vga=normal
> url=http://server.domain.com/debian-preseed.cfg";
> Then booted up the server with this kernel
>
> But the doesn't get the preseed config from the server server.domain.com
> while booting up. May I know what is the issue?
>
> I think network needs to be up when the server bootup with this kernel but I
> don't how to enable network on kernel. Anyone please let me know?
>
> But this same method works fine with kickstart on centos lol

The method of downloading vmlinux and initrd.gz and booting from them
is an (unusual) RH method of installation but I don't think that it's
transferable to Debian; I've never seen anyone describe it before.
Maybe it works but it's not listed in [1] as a preseeding method.

If you're more familiar with kickstart, AFAIK Ubuntu's "upstreamed"
some patches to d-i that allow kickstarting a Debian install but it
can't be fully automated without some "preseed ..." stanzas in the
kickstart file.

1. http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/apbs01.html

PS: I'm mostly a RHEL sysadmin and I find your "lol" borderline trollish...