added second /dev/md1 to system by hand into /etc/fstab and system won't boot cause udev doesnt create device /dev/md1

Dear Gurus,

I have  copied over my home directory to a new drive which is a raid 1 software raid.
I added the corresponding correct information to /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf.

ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=1 UUID=69547109-c527-6986-fab9-5ff707241177

and i replaced the old drive entry in /etc/fstab with the new information

/dev/md1 /home  ext3  defaults 0 2

however the boot from grub fails and drops me into a partial state because the  device

/dev/md1

is not existent.

I can manually create

mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
and then
mdadm -A /dev/md1

and then mount it

but this is clearly wrong.

What do I do to enable my system to boot normally with  this new configuration??

ie what tells the boot process to create /dev/md1 and assemble the raid?

thanks
Mitchell